Tuesday, April 28, 2015

26 Weeks

Once again, I have gone MIA from this blog. I wish I could tell you it's because I've been whisked away in a happy pregnant bliss, nesting to my heart's content, and enjoying everything there is about pregnancy. Unfortunately, things have been very difficult and the pregnancy is not going so well. It has been full of surprises...

***Warning: high risk pregnancy update***

Let's start with the happy surprise. We learned at another anatomy scan that our little ninja babe is NOT a boy... IT'S A GIRL!!! Apparently, it was too soon to tell at our 16 week scan, and the doctors got it wrong! What a surprise! Not to sound cliché, but, truly, boy or girl, it doesn't matter to us as long as the baby is healthy. Either way is a blessing!

Unfortunately, during the anatomy scan the doctors also discovered a few complications with the baby. Our little girl has congenital heart disease, more specifically a hyperplastic aortic arch and a ventricular septal defect, and will require surgery after birth. There are a few other complications, but I don't want to get into them here. Thankfully, we were told that the surgeries would give our baby a very hopeful prognosis. 
This diagnosis came back in March at 18 weeks. It took us some time to adjust to and accept the situation, but we figured that things would be tough for a while, but we'd get through it. 

Then when we returned for another ultrasound at 24 weeks, we found out that the baby's condition was a lot worse. She has fluid in her belly, and the amniotic fluid was very low. Why this was happening, no one could be sure. I was not leaking fluid, and I had no signs of preterm labor. Due to the baby's heart condition, she would not survive if she were delivered until at the earliest 28 weeks. At the present moment, there are no interventions we can do but wait. 

The next week, we found that there is now no amniotic fluid. This is very concerning, and presents several risks to the baby: lung development, muscle tone, joint constriction, and the chance of fetal demise. I am paying close attention to the baby's movements & am to report to the hospital if I don't feel her move after a few hours... It has been extremely unnerving to say the least. 

Thankfully, the baby has been moving regularly, and somehow we are managing to keep our heads. We are preparing for a delivery as early as 28 weeks (May 12th) and no later than 34 weeks (June 23rd). We are praying that our little ninja survives the pregnancy, and when she is born that she is ready for a fight. I believe in my heart that she is a fighter. We are doing our best to stay positive and healthy.